Indoor Plant Safety

The weather has changed, the holiday season is in full swing! Adults, children and pets will be spending more time indoors and distractions abound. It is a good time to assess the location of all
houseplants and holiday plant additions. It is important to know the botanical name of all plants in your home in case any part is accidentally ingested by a child or pet. Common names can be
misleading and may lead to incorrect diagnosis and treatment. Keep the local Poison Control number handy in case of emergency.
These are the Five Important Steps to Eliminate Risks of Plant Poisoning
1. Identify your plants (at time of purchase make sure plant tag is in place or if given as a gift)
2. Learn which plants are poisonous (Useful Resources: AMA Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants, ASPCA Website, Baby-Safe Houseplants & Cut Flowers by J. Alber and D. Alber). When visiting other places during the holiday with children and pets make note of any houseplants and living holiday decor.  Please note: Poinsettias are NOT poisonous according to all reputable sources.
3. Display plants safely
4. Teach children never to eat non-food plants (children under the age of 6 must be watched closely as the toxins of plants are more harmful to them due to their delicate and smaller body system)
5. Be prepared for emergencies
Stay calm
Examine the child, pet
Assess how much of the plant was eaten
Identify the plant, if possible
Call Poison Control
If directed to go to hospital, take the plant along