Creek Side Gardens Top 10 Gardening Tips
Plan your Garden
- Draw and follow a plan for plants, fences and hardscape to avoid having to move them as the garden evolves.
- Determine the type and style of garden you want, and then develop a 5-year plan to accomplish the makeover.
- Find the right plant for the right location – sun or shade, tall or short etc.
- Make it as easy as possible on yourself
- Create non-lawn spaces that are easier to care for – include plants.
- These can be growing areas or living areas in the yard that will be beautiful and functional.
- Mow lawn areas tall.
Plant trees and shrubs
- Add beauty, shade and increase the value of your property.
- Established woody ornamentals require less water and are easy to care for.
Perennial gardening offers low maintenance and beauty once established
- Most perennials have a period of season to bloom. Challenge and fun is to design a palette of color throughout the season.
- Many different colors and heights available.
Use summer flowering annuals for the greatest color impact
- Plant in ground beds or containers.
- Lots of colors and sizes available.
- Plant your own containers of purchase pre-planted.
Vegetable gardening is fun and easy
- Only small sunny space required for a few plants.
- Use containers on a patio or deck
- Vegetables can be canned or frozen.
Plant at prime-times if possible
- Less stress on the transplants makes for easier transition and better success rate.
- April & May for trees, shrubs and perennials
- May & early June for annuals
- Colorado is a high plains desert – 13” annual precipitation
- Use drip irrigation when possible – soaker hoses & timers
- Mulch ground beds with 2-3” of shredded bark or compost to hold in moisture
- Water early in the day
Learn basic pruning techniques to care for your trees and shrubs
- check on the CSU Extension Website for the best information
Have fun and be sure to take time to enjoy!