“The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisﬁed. They always look forward to doing better than they have ever done before.” -Vita Sackville-West (1892-1962)English Writer
A Late December Check List:
– It’s not too late to take your Christmas Tree to a – community drop off! Mulch will be made from the discards and used in gardens and parks in 2016.
– If there is an extended period of no snow cover (3-4 weeks) get out and give your lawn, trees, and shrubs a good soaking.
– Indoor plants need less water during the winter due to cooler temperatures and reduced light. Do not over-water! This encourages powdery mildew, fungus gnats and rotting roots.
– Stored bulbs and tubers need to be checked for decay, drying or sprouting. Throw away or compost the ﬁrst two, if sprouting make sure area is cooler and darker!
– Begin planning your 2016 garden by collecting catalogues, perusing websites, and journaling your ideas.